Wednesday 13 April 2016

The Travel Space-Time Continuum - Part 1

At my age (30), visiting cities not only takes me back in time and space, it forces me to ask questions about the past, the present, and the future. I have learned that I need to take a break even when I travel, to collect my thoughts, share them, and dissociate myself from the past so I can continue on my journey. 

Not an easy task, especially when the present is waiting for you on the other side of the gates asking it's own questions!

One thing is for sure, each city has made its own special place in my travel memories; and although my videos present you with photos of forts, temples, and palaces, I have learned much more about India through the cities I have visited.

Central India

Fact#1 - The community built between friends, family members, and professionals and their clients has been the binding force for each person's private life. Without such a community, it would be that much harder to survive what we as humans face. 

Fact#2 - Gujarat's cities, roads, and railway stations are some of the cleanest I have seen in India. I was only startled by the high incidence of air pollution plaguing Ahmedabad....

Fact#3 - Gujarat's historical stepwells - their architecture and their embellishments - are breathtaking. Each carving holds special significance and may even be based on astronomical and scientific principles. In fact, as an example, I would recommend reading about Modhera's sun temple!


Delhi

Fact#1 - Not all parts of Delhi are unsafe. In fact, walking around Hauz Khaas Village in South Delhi, I felt right at home in my Western clothes and couldn't help but notice women practising yoga by the lake.

Fact#2 - Significant strides are being made in India for cleanliness and to reduce pollution. There are trees lining many roads. All vehicles in Delhi must run only in compressed natural gas, a cleaner option. But yes, to reduce the pollution already created due to generations of globalization, it will take time.

Fact#3 - The preservation of historical structures in Delhi is laudable. And then, new structures like the Bahai Lotus Temple and Akshardham Temple are present-day architectural marvels. But, I was especially impressed by the efforts taken to reconstruct Humayun's Tomb. Please do read about it.


Please stay tuned for my next post about cities I visited in UP and Rajasthan. And do let me know what you would like to hear more about, by leaving a comment below!

Do not forget to like my Facebook page "One Woman Empowered" and share my posts! And thank you as always for continuing to read and encouraging me on my travels. It does keep me going!!

P.S. Music courtesy incompetech.com and bensound.com


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your life's moments with us. Liked the blog and the photos. Looking forward to your blog's as you continue on your journey of adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and for continuing to follow my journey!

      Delete
  2. For part 2, I hope you talk about the motorcycles in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. When I was there crossing the street was fun as long as you follow the system ex. take a few steps...stop, take another few steps...stop. It gives the 2-wheelers time to dodge as you cross. Take care Asma. You've covered quite some ground since your Feb post.
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya for sure. That was an interesting stop. Will share more in my next post!!

      Delete