Wednesday 6 December 2017

The Believer

You may have read about her in one of my earlier posts, but I felt that my mention of her was too short and her impact quite large. So a post dedicated to her was necessary.

Who is Nimisha? 

She isn't famous or well-known. A regular woman you might say. But it is the regular women with the stories that connect to us the most, I feel. I hope you agree....

So, where did I leave off in my last brief mention about Nimisha? Ah yes, we were sitting in her car driving towards a get-together of sorts. I was there to learn more about her work and its impact after all. 

As we were driving, she pointed to a loud argument under the expressway, which by the way I likely hadn't noticed or accepted as part and parcel of life in India. Not her. She asked if she should turn back to help them. I said yes. A quick u-turn, smooth parking, and she was right in the middle of it all. Listening to each side intently, nodding her head, taking a moment to speak. 

Minutes go by, and the end result? Smiles and a dissipation of the argument. When she returned to the car, I asked her whether she would return the next day and whether she thought she had made a difference. A practical person, she responded that she may not have. 

Nimisha....

A person who is confident in her love for herself. Refers to her childhood with a lightness, and describes herself as an adorable, attention-seeking child. Close to 40, and confesses to her unconditional love for her sister and brother. 

With a father who was a good businessman and an entrepreneur, she was always interested in starting a business venture and applying her creativity to develop and grow it. However, circumstances did not allow this as she came from a patriarchical family. 

She was still very close to her father and instead built her background in child development and psychology.... Her teaching career began with her offering tutoring to children outside school hours and although she wanted to open a formal coaching class, she couldn't help worry about those who would not be able to afford the classes. 

She never started the coaching business but instead began volunteering at a school for the visually impaired and was shocked to find no blackboard. Lol. Then, moved to a school for the hearing impaired and then an orphanage, finally ending at Jumbish, an NGO which ran a public school. A life-long teacher, this is where her heart finally fit in.

The need to help others has permeated through to other aspects of her life too!

In fact, she has even written a biography about someone she met with cancer who wanted others to learn from his experience and avoid chewing an Indian tobacco equivalent called panmasala which is known to cause cancer. The book, Achanak, was impactful and led to many quitting the habit.

Nimisha's favorite quote is a prayer:

Tera tujko arpan kya laage mera...
I have nothing of my own
Everything is given to me

So every day she practices to give all back to nature and the world. And although she has no advice for others based on her experiences, she hopes that the work she does passes on the message automatically. Her words, "My life will be my message". 
Is your life your message? I hope it is, even if it is just for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment